Monday, June 26, 2006

What does a knee mean?

Some one told me sometime, at a party, that lower back pain meant that a person felt unsupported. There's a whole alternative orthodoxy (fortunately still in chaos) about this - interpreting illness in terms of What It Really Means. I don't despise it in the least, though of course, I laugh at attempts to 'scientizzze' it. Just as I laugh at the serious photographs of homeopaths IN WHITE COATS!!

Oh please.
You may as well wear a pointy black hat.

But that's a rant all of Spinner's own, and she won't be here to respond to the consequences.
(She'll be busy at her place, with her black cat, stirring some amphibious innards and bergamot to some ghastly purpose...)

It's all superstition. That doesn't mean I'm not superstitious. I am.

And the idea that lower back pain has a connection to either feeling unsupported or; simply; being unsupported; had the unmistakable ring of truth about it for me. True for me.

spinner: that's so disgusting it just might work...

(she's talking about the bergamot)

Yama has read Louise Hayes. She knows about these ideas. I wonder what is said about knees. What do they mean?

5 Comments:

Blogger Lyria Lin said...

Gosh I'm being all comment-y.

Knees are surrender and penitance, traditionally. Of course there's also "knee-deep" and "knee-jerk" as little knee phrases. So basically out of my /ass/ (more symbolism!) I think your body is saying okay, it hurts, but you are not going to be a supplicant any more.

Gee, I should go on the road as a self-help guru. :-)

9:55 AM  
Blogger Polysemous said...

How did your ass determine that the message is less rather than more supplication?
*angsty forehead lines wiggle*
It could go the other way - that I'm being taught to surrender. Or do you think I do enough of that! *snorgle*
I like your interpretation (I mean, your ass's interpretation) better than the way I'd tend to read it.
Thank you for thought provoking comments!!!
:)

2:50 PM  
Blogger Eight Lives Left said...

I was going to say, for me, that a knee would make me feel off-balance, like I couldn't keep steady in a world full of stuff knocking me off balance.

But I like S... I mean ~us~'s interpretation better. :)

Sassy

5:50 PM  
Blogger Lyria Lin said...

Why less rather than more uh... because! No no I'll have to do better than that...

And yes, c'est moi

Shandra Teresa Alison Lemarath, if you must really get picky about it. Hmm one more L and that would acronymize(!) to STALL :)

9:35 AM  
Blogger Polysemous said...

Knees mean needs.
I've decided.
Unmet needs.

What do think of that?

And thank you for the much *groan* kneaded conversation here.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home